Friday, July 25, 2014

Recognize the Mind Monsters (Automatic Negative Thoughts)

We have all been faced with people and/or literature that propose that we move ahead with positive thinking.  What goes through your mind when someone suggests that you have positive thinking?  Do you think they are lame and not realistic?  Do you wonder if they are rowing with both oars in the water?  Do you wonder if they are in touch with reality?

Well I assure you that they are indeed in touch with reality.  It has been proven that 90% of the negative things that we fear will happen will never happen.  Therefore, positive thinking is more realistic than negative thinking. 

Even though positive thinking is more realistic people often find themselves entertaining unhelpfully negative thoughts.  This is something that needs to be changed.  The first step in changing these automatic negative thoughts (ANTs) is to recognize them.  The following are some common types of negative thoughts.

All or Nothing Thinking (Dichotomous Reasoning)


Thinking in terms of black and white.  Never allowing for any grey areas.  Thinking that that things are all one way or another without there being a middle ground.

E.g.  If I can’t do it perfectly I might as well not do it at all.
E.g.  There is no way that I will get all of this done so I might as well not even start it.
E.g.  This apartment complex is so bad you won’t find anything good about it.

Catastrophising


Thinking that something intolerable will happen.  Exaggerating the odds that a disaster will happen.

E.g.  I am going to look foolish and people will call me an idiot.
E.g.  What if I haven’t turned the oven off and the kitchen catches on fire.
E.g.  If I don’t give a good presentation I will get fired.

Emotional Reasoning


Making the error of accepting feelings as facts.  Holding negative feelings as facts because they feel true.

E.g.  I feel useless therefore I must be useless.
E.g.  I feel unattractive therefore I must be unattractive.

Mind Reading


Assuming the way people think or feel without having any real proof of their thoughts or feelings.

E.g.  It was obvious to me that she thought that I was an idiot during the interview.
E.g.  She must like him more than me because she was talking to him.

Should Statements


Using “ought,” “must” and “should.”  Using these words can set up expectations that are just not real.

E.g.  People should always be nice to me.
E.g.  I should never lose my temper.

Fortune Telling Error


Awaiting a particular outcome and holding your prediction as fact.  Expecting negative results could end up self-fulfilling.

E.g.  The partnership is sure to fail.
E.g.  The deal is going to fall through so there is no need to try to put it together.
E.g.  Things have always been like this, they will never change.

Magnification/Minimization


“Exaggerating” negative circumstances and information and minimizing positive information and circumstances.

E.g.  They noticed that I spilled something on my skirt.
E.g.  She said that we would go to the mall together but I bet she doesn’t call.
E.g.  Being there for my friend when she miscarried still does not excuse me for standing her up last month.

Personalizing


Claiming that something is your fault when it is not.  Thinking that you are the reason that people do what they do.

E.g.  Carrie is pretty cranky.  It must be because of something I’ve said.
E.g.  You can tell that she does not like me or she would have greeted me.

Filtering (Selective Abstraction)


When you focus on the negatives and overlook the positives.  Holding on to your negative view of the situation regardless of proof.

E.g.  I know that she said the report was really good but she also noticed some errors.  She must think I am no good.

Overgeneralization


Using one piece of evidence or a single event to come to a conclusion.  Expecting something bad to happen simply because it has happened before.  The words always and never are included in these thoughts
.
E.g.  I forgot to pick up that prescription.  I never get things done.
E.g.  He did not ask me back out.  I’ll never have a relationship.


(Facts used in this blogpost can be found at http://www.thehappinessinstitute.com/freeproducts/docs/Examples%20Of%20Unhelpful%20Thinking.pdf)

If you learned anything new from this article then please leave a comment.  




No comments:

Post a Comment